About Me

My photo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Welcome to my blog, and thank you for stopping by. I hope you find it informative, and if there is anything I have missed or you would like me to talk about please drop me a line of suggestion. After seeing a nutritional therapist I decided from the improvement of my own health that I would like to be there in the same way for others, therefore, I studied two degrees; one in Nutritional Therapy and another in Bioscience Nutrition so that i could be equipped to support a number of health conditions. I now work for a supplement company on a clinical team supporting practitioners and keeping upto date with all new scientific information and provide private consultations too aswel as keeping my blog going :)

ttps://twitter.com/Samanthaeprior

Friday 4 October 2013

Treating Cold Sores - Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-1)

Herpes simplex (HSV-1) is highly contagious during an outbreak and is commonly known as cold sores which are characterised by tingling followed with small blisters that develop around the mouth and on the lips.  There are other versions of the virus; herpes simplex (HSV-2) which is an infection of the genitals, herpes zoster, commonly known as shingles, hand or finger (called a herpetic whitlow).  An outbreak often comes on during times of stress when the immune system is weakened. Inbetween outbreaks the virus can remain dormant in the spinal ganglion root.

Symptoms

·         Small, painful blisters filled with fluid around the lips or edge of the mouth
·         Tingling or burning around the mouth or nose, often a few days before blisters appear
·         Fever
·         Sore throat
·         Swollen lymph nodes in neck

Pathophysiology

·         Initial infection is through direct skin to skin contact of mucous membranes such as kissing during the time the virus is active.
·         When the immune system is supressed the virus becomes active travelling from the dorsal root ganglion down to the epithelial lining causing blistering of the skin.
·         The virus remains active on average for 7-10 days, during this time the blisters will burst causing a crust layer which should heal with no scaring
·         After shredding and the skin has healed the virus becomes supressed and is nolonger contagious
·         These episodes of attack can vary between people depending on their stress levels and immune system.

Medical Management

Clinical Considerations

·         Compromised immune system as the viral attacks flare when the immune system is supressed
·         High stress levels of the individual has been strongly linked with the viral activation.

 

Nutritional Interventions

·         L- Lysine taken daily may reduce the severity and frequency of the lesions[i].
·         Curcumin inhibits herpes simplex virus immediate-early gene expression.[ii]
·         Garlic  rich levels of the component alicin in garlic has been shown to be virucidial[iii],[iv]
·         Probiotics lactic acid bacteria ie: l.salivarius has antiherpetic activity[v]
·         Resveratrol inhibits herpes simplex virus (HSV) replication by suppressing nuclear factor-kappaB[vi]

Diet/Adjuncts

·         Honey applied topically has been shown to be effective in managing recurrent symptoms[vii] 
·         Arginine ie: nuts, chocolate and coffee may the aggravate the virus
·         Peppermint oil application has shown to have 99% antiviral activity when used for 3hrs in incubation[viii]
·         Ice  wrapped up (to prevent frostbite) and applied to the area for 90 minutes to cold the area

·        
Zinc Oxide applied topically reduced severity of symptoms and duration[ix]
·         Low laser treatment over a 6month period may lower the incidence recurrent infections[x]
·         Melissa officinalis (lemon balm) applied topically to inhibit the virus[xi]



[i] Thein DJ, Hurt WC.(1984) Lysine as a prophylactic agent in the treatment of recurrent herpes simplex labialis.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 58(6):659-66.
[ii] Kutluay SB, Doroghazi J, Roemer ME, Triezenberg SJ Virology. 2008 Apr 10;373(2):239-47. Epub 2008 Jan 14. PMID: 18191976
[iii] J. C. Harris, S. Cottrell, S. Plummer, D. Lloyd (2001) Antimicrobial properties of Allium sativum (garlic) Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 57:282-286
[iv] Norbert D. Weber1, Douglas O. Andersen1, James A. North1, Byron K. Murray1, Larry D. Lawson2, Bronwyn G. Hughes (1992) In Vitro Virucidal Effects of Allium sativum (Garlic) Extract and Compounds Planta; 58(5): 417-423
[v] T M Liaskovs'kyĭ, S L Rybalko, V S Pidhors'kyĭ, N K Kovalenko, L T Oleshchenko (2007) Effect of probiotic lactic acid bacteria strains on virus infection Mikrobiol Z. 69(2):55-63.
[vi] Faith SA, Sweet TJ, Bailey E, Docherty J Antiviral Res. 2006 Dec;72(3):242-51. Epub 2006 Jul 14
[vii] Noori S Al-Waili (2004)
[viii] A. Schuhmachera, J. Reichlingb, P. Schnitzler (2003)  Virucidal effect of peppermint oil on the enveloped viruses herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2 in vitro Phytomedicine  10: 504–510
[ix] H R Godfrey, N J Godfrey, J C Godfrey, D Riley (2001) A randomized clinical trial on the treatment of oral herpes with topical zinc oxide/glycine Altern Ther Health Med. 7(3):49-56.
[x] A Schindl, R Neumann Low-intensity laser therapy is an effective treatment for recurrent herpes simplex infection. Results from a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. Glia. 2009 Mar;57(4):402-13. PMID: 10469307
[xi] G Mazzanti, L Battinelli, C Pompeo, A M Serrilli, R Rossi, I Sauzullo, F Mengoni, V Vullo (2008) Inhibitory activity of Melissa officinalis L. extract on Herpes simplex virus type 2 replication Nat Prod Res 22(16):1433-40

6 comments:

  1. This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure herpes, i navel believe that this will work i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the herpes in my body, he prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the one month, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my friend who was also herpes positive to the Dr okorom, after the treatment she was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer. please i want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his email address, dr.okoromspellhome@live.com do email him he is a great man. the government is also interested in this DR, thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to DR.ABEGBE the great man that save my life,some months again I was very sick and feel pain every-time, it was him that bring me out, am taylor lillian or email me for information taylorlillian21@gmail.com am from USA I was once a herpes patient it was him that cured me, I want to say big thanks to him because he did very great in my life, before this man start with my cured he ask me to promise him one thing, that once am cured I should share his news to the world about how his going to help me and I was even happy that I found help I promise him that I will do that immediately the man told me that will should start with the cure and I inform him that he should go ahead because I want to see my self cure from that sickness this man ask me to give him time to work on my cure he email back and ask me to provide the curing things which I did the next-day of it he called that he have getting the things and his about working on the cure in less 1hours he called me that he is done that I should go for test, in my body everything heal automatically when I go for test I was negative a great thanks to he you can contact him now email:DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM OR DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete

  3. Greetings to the general public,i want to inform the
    public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called
    astogo.i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs
    like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the
    symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet
    searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about
    how Doctor astogo cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a
    Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a
    free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I
    pray for you Dr astogo God will give you everlasting life, you shall
    not die before your time for being a sincere and great men. Am so happy,
    you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: drastogospellhome@gmail.com.
    or call him on +2348104933655.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I have suffered from herpes in the mouth since I can remember. The burning sensation and itching is awful and only those who have suffered can understand what I mean. This message is for all those who continue to suffer from this problem, and want to get rid of.I want to say that I was there and today, thanks to "Dr Ebosa herbal remedies", I can say that my herpes are part of the past. A fast, simple and natural method.Without spending a lot of money and above all no horrible side effects. This program is all you need to say goodbye to their herpes forever! Thanks to all those who were involved in the development of this wonderful product. you can contact him today Via email;drabosaherbscure@gmail.com or ebosaherbalremedy@hotmail.com. bye bye

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Emilia Peters, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at:drejiehiwaseharbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed with (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) for about 2 years so I can relate to people who have the cured. No medications or treatments ever really did anything for me (i tried them all no one work. but I was actually able to completely cure HERPES naturally after countless hours of online research. What worked for me is as follows: I saw Dr Okuns Information online that he normally cure and treat disease and infirmities with his Herbal Medicine, I never really believed the people who where recommending him thou i saw on blog about 6 people where also testifying on how they were cured by Dr Okuns,and still Ellen recommend Dr Okuns who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES GENITAL VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES GENITAL VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him: herbal.home247@yahoo.com if you are infected with any disease like HIV, AIDS,CANCER, HERPES.PVC, or any other disease you can also be happy like me by contacting Dr Okuns through his via email: herbal.home247@yahoo.com or Call his line: +2348078467513

    ReplyDelete